ScummVM is a program which allows you to run certain classic graphical point-and-click adventure games, provided you already have their data files. The clever part about this: ScummVM just replaces the executables shipped with the games, allowing you to play them on systems for which they were never designed!
Some of the adventures ScummVM supports include Adventure Soft’s Simon the Sorcerer 1 and 2; Revolution’s Beneath A Steel Sky, Broken Sword 1 and Broken Sword 2; Flight of the Amazon Queen; Wyrmkeep’s Inherit the Earth; Coktel Vision’s Gobliiins; Westwood Studios’ The Legend of Kyrandia and games based on LucasArts’ SCUMM (Script Creation Utility for Maniac Mansion) system such as Monkey Island, Day of the Tentacle, Sam and Max and more. You can find a thorough list with details on which games are supported and how well on the compatibility page. ScummVM is continually improving, so check back often.
Release notes: 1.4.0 (2011-11-11)
– Added support for Lands of Lore: The Throne of Chaos.
– Added support for Blue’s Birthday Adventure.
– Added support for Ringworld: Revenge Of The Patriarch.
– Added support for the Amiga version of Conquests of the Longbow.
– Added PlayStation 3 port.
– Fixed the ARM assembly routine for reverse stereo audio.
– Added support for building with MacPorts out of the box.
– Implemented sound support for the DOS version of Winnie the Pooh in the Hundred Acre Wood.
– Implemented support for loading data directly from InstallShield cabinets in The Feeble Files and Simon the Sorcerer’s Puzzle Pack.
– Fixed loading and saving in the PC version of Waxworks.
– Fixed music in the PC versions of Elvira 1/2 and Waxworks.
– Added support for the iOS version of The 7th Guest.
– Fixed crash when trying to talk and ask something at the same time.
– Added better handling of digital vs. synthesized sound effects. If the “Mixed Adlib / MIDI mode” checkbox is checked, the engine will prefer digital sound effects, otherwise their synthesized counterparts will be preferred instead, if both versions of the same effect exist.
– Implemented PC Speaker support for SCUMM v5 games.
– Fixed priority bug in iMuse. As a result the AdLib music should sound better, since important notes are not interrupted anymore.
– Implemented CMS support for Loom, The Secret of Monkey Island and Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.
– Improved palette handling for the Amiga version of Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis.
Broken Sword 1:
– Fix freeze in Windows demo.
– Fix crash when using cutscene subtitles pack with the Macintosh version.
– Fixed deleting saved games from the list of saved games (from the launcher and the in-game ScummVM menu).
– The US version of Discworld II now shows the correct title screen and language flag.
– Fixed plugins on Android 3.x.
– Moved the default saved game location to the SD card.