ScummVM is a program which allows you to run certain classic graphical point-and-click adventure games, provided you already have their data files. The clever part about this: ScummVM just replaces the executables shipped with the games, allowing you to play them on systems for which they were never designed!
Some of the adventures ScummVM supports include Adventure Soft’s Simon the Sorcerer 1 and 2; Revolution’s Beneath A Steel Sky, Broken Sword 1 and Broken Sword 2; Flight of the Amazon Queen; Wyrmkeep’s Inherit the Earth; Coktel Vision’s Gobliiins; Westwood Studios’ The Legend of Kyrandia and games based on LucasArts’ SCUMM (Script Creation Utility for Maniac Mansion) system such as Monkey Island, Day of the Tentacle, Sam and Max and more. You can find a thorough list with details on which games are supported and how well on the compatibility page. ScummVM is continually improving, so check back often.
– Improved audio device detection and fallback. There should be no more silent errors due to invalid audio devices. Instead ScummVM should pick up a suitable alternative device.
– Added detection entries for more variants of some Living Books games.
– Fixed a regression that made Discworld uncompletable.
– Fixed a regression in Inherit the Earth’s dragon walk code which was causing crashes there.
– Fixed a regression causing various crashes in I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream.
– Added detection entries for some Macintosh game versions.
– Audio settings are now stored correctly for the CD version of EcoQuest 1.
– Fixed graphics bug in FM-TOWNS versions of games on ARM devices (Android, iPhone, etc.).