do you know, that there are people out there, who steal content from others, without crediting? Additionally they pretend to help the homebrew scene…
Well it happened once again, our majesty, Wraggster the Thief I., honest webmaster of the money making machine DCEmu.co.uk has copied PDRoms Openmoko section, two hours after after PDRoms introcuded it. Of course he also grabbed three Openmoko news, without credits.
The content does not appear on the main page of DCEmu, apparently Homebrew-King Wraggster wants to avoid PDRoms Main News on his front page, to lower the impression that he is a bloody thief.
Fact is, the news were stolen, without credits, may they be on the main page or not. As I am not able to check topics on DCEmu myself due to beeing banned, the no credit fact has been confirmed by RoBoCop_ ( http://www.c64.ch ) and myself via using a proxy.
Yesterday there was an issue where Wraggster has stolen news from Brakken/Tehskeen.net, pretty fast and with an apology Wraggster added credits to the stolen news post. He probably fears Brakken more than PDRoms, because the community there is a lot larger.
To be continued…
Update 8.7.2008 01:02am
To be fair here is a “response” from Wraggster http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=118972
Now a few things to clear up:
* I am not a “german”, you may look at a country south to germany…
* PDRoms is a hobby for me as well. I have a 40h/week main job with a sidejob along with a family – then additional work with PDRoms kicks in, also few hours daily. Just beeing busy is no excuse to forget credits with a clear system. You are angry at me because I told the public that you stole an article and rewrote it with your own words. That’s a fact and your apology was just the one you gave to brakken yesterday. Beeing tired is no right to leave out appropriate credits. If you have power to rewrite a whole article, which you have seen somewhere else, then there should be credits with it too.
* If your banners dont bring any money, then why you just dont remove them? There are enough pages where people can figure out if a decent dealer is trustable or not. You could even do that in your boards without spoiling your main page with more than 4 banner ads. Also we should not forget the hidden affilation codes in most posts – Your explanation just does not work out if you think logical. GBAdev also has a discussion sections about dealers without extraordinary hughe advertising anywhere. If your statement is true, you know what to do now…
* Neither I am jelous nor do I really want to go the public way, but the public critism so far did not seem to have impressed you. If you want to earn or not earn money, is your personal problem. I just want proper credits for everyone. If you forget it sometimes, hell, it’s perfectly okay. But if you follow your own news, there is a structure that you grab from sites such as nintendomax without any credits. As we are into homebrew for ages, I believe we do have the same sources of aquiring information, so I pretty much know what I am talking about. If not, I am open for beeing teached.
* If someone would blame you for something horrible which you have not done or you never did, I would stand up for you too. Even now, it’s not a question of “friendship” in any form. Unfortunatly the police still did not track down that guy as he was using a proxy… that troll was also after other people. Probably he has seen it as kind of sports to make other people bad.
* As we are in the same “homebrew” boat I suggest two things. Peace or war! It’s fully up to you. Just don’t say I did not offer you a situation to iron anything out. All I want is proper crediting for everyone (even if you are tired) and a proper apology. So sweetheart… it’s your turn! You may rant back a bit for public entertainment :)
Update 8.7.2008 02:30am
Wraggster has deleted his “response” but it’s saved in the PDRoms webboard as screenshot, you may read that up there.
On Friday, 4th July, there will be a server outtage between 5 and 6am.
Thanks for your understanding!
Dear Wraggster, Webmaster and News Thief at DCEmu,
I’ve been silent for a while now and were watching your actions. We at PDRoms are still very happy that you like our quality service and use OUR news for YOUR SITE without CREDITS, most of the time. We would prefer that you give FULL and PROPER credits for every single news post. Not only if you “borrow” things from PDRoms.
If you think news fall off a tree like leaves, you are wrong. We are investigating a lot of time and energy. The least you can do, is giving proper credits.
The following is of interest:
BlobbDS v0.5 – This release from last week was found by Kojote yesterday. Interestingly no other page was reporting about this, but DCEmu did today. How comes you did not find it earlier on your own? Where are the credits?
Totitoes Version 1.5 – same goes for Totitoes, PDRoms were posting about it first, where are the credits?
Eigenmath DS – is even one month old? You were not able to find it on your own in this time? But you post it a day after it was on PDRoms, without credits?
Luckily I am already banned on DCemu, because I pointed out what you are doing in the public. This is how you act on criticsm. You are a plain professional lad, many people love you.
Go and earn shitloads of money with your banners and product palcements. You better not pretend to be a supporter of the homebrew scene, you do things for your own personal profit and to reach this, you ignore sources and misuse others work. Just go and accumulate more news from other sources, because most of us know, you can not create own content anymore.
This is not only what I (Kojote) say, many other of your “former” friends from Consolevision, whom you also banned from your network think the same.
Someone has to speak it out and I just did.
Most of the older emulation and homebrew followers might remember EMU-LMAO. The owner points out mistakes or odd behaviors of more or less known webmasters and news-posters of related scene pages, and adds his serious to sarcastic comments.
I’ve read the older news of the past months and it was quite interesting. To answer one question for EMU-LMAO – Indeed I need to be in bad condition before the other PDRoms staff members get active. You should be happy about that anyway, otherwise “birthday greetings” might drop out of the main news too fast :D
Thanks to GameCop for the marvellous hint, as I did not know EMU-LMAO reopened his doors again since already quite a few months.
Retrogaming Times Monthly #49 is available since a while.. RTM is a retro magazine, sometimes with focus on homebrew things.
Content of this issue:
01. Attract Mode
02. NES’cade — Kung Fu
03. Apple II Incider: Karateka II: The Wrath of the Dude
04. Game Archaeologist
05. Old Wine in New Bottles: Retrogaming on Modern Hardware
06. Who’d Win: Battlezone vs. Robot Tank
07. Game Over
Thanks to http://www.atariage.com for the news.
One of Kojote’s side projects, RETROGURU, is back, but in a modified form. Few years ago this page was an emulation news page with own news, while the reborn version is an emulation news aggregator.
It takes emulation & homebrew news from the best scene pages out there and accumulates it at one place. The headlines directly links to the news source, so credits are instantly given where due.
The initial purpose was, to not check dozens of pages a day, which is very time consuming. Maybe this little page will save some time for others too.
The initial (mostly unasked) contributors to this project are:
* 1Emulation – http://www.1emulation.com/
* AEP-Emu – http://www.aep-emu.de/
* Emuboards – http://www.emuboards.com/
* EmuHQ – http://www.emuhq.com/
* PDRoms – http://www.pdroms.de/
* VG-Network – http://www.vg-network.com/
For now everything is very basic, but the content counts. Probably the layout will stay like this forever :) The page is free of banners.
PS: Due to the odd backend, the page should work proper by 18th June. All posts, even when older, were aggregated with the date of today (17th June).
The PDRoms team is glad, that many people like our news a lot. Even so much, that they copy them without credits most of the time.
Considering we spend up to 2 hours daily for finding news on the web, it would be appreciated if copycats who save time with our work, can at least provide a source.
The affected webmasters and newsposters know who they are, there is no need to put more oil into the fire.
Kojote’s “Appendix vermiformis” is history now, unless kedo is posting news, there wont be updates from me for a few days.
The operation was going well, but I definatly need rest now and not “homebrew news”.
Thanks for your understanding!
Due to lack of motivation, the news service will slow down. Thanks for your understanding!
Dear visitors, dear competition contributors,
Finally they are here, the results of the recently held PDRoms Coding Competition #3.99. Unfortunatly with a hughe delay, due to my accident.
Before the results a thank you to the people who contributed us with prizes. In particular:
* Brandon Cobb – http://www.superfighter.com/
* Enno Conners – http://www.go64.de/
* Dan Wright – http://www.mindcandydvd.com/
Here are the long awaited results:
#1 eKid [GBA] SuperWings http://pdroms.de/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=430
#2 daaa57150 [PSP] Mega Drops http://pdroms.de/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=438
#3 Kukulcan [NDS] KuMoLo http://pdroms.de/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=433
#4 Haroldo [Master System] Headless Ninja Volley v0.9 http://pdroms.de/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=439
#5 Judas [PSP] BoxMan PSP v1a http://pdroms.de/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=436
#6 Quasist [GP2x] Mutant Tank Knights http://pdroms.de/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=432
#7 Dje [NDS] Completly Unrealistic Landing Simulation v0.1 http://pdroms.de/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=435
#8 Paolo [GP2x] 4WE http://pdroms.de/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=431
#9 Mia [NDS] Negative Space http://pdroms.de/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=434
#10 MK2k [PSP] Kakuro Nichiyou PSP v1.0 (Newspaper Edition) http://pdroms.de/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=437
#11 SoLo2 [GBA] Storm (09-03-2008) http://pdroms.de/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=429
Thanks to everyone who was part of this competition!